"But I being poor have only my dreams. I have spread my dreams under your feet. Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams." - Yeats

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

"These are a Few of My Favorite Things..."


Rachel's Randomness
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Resolved, that I will live so, as I shall wish I had done when I come to die." - Jonathan Edwards
Last night I had one of those phone conversations that lasted for hours but neither party noticed. It reminded me of Jane Austen's novel, "Persuasion": "My idea of good company is of clever, well-informed people, who have a great deal of conversation," said Anne Elliot. To which, her cousin, Mr. Elliot replies, "You are mistaken. That is not good company - that is the best."
During this lively conversation, the Lord again convicted me that I have SO much to be so happy for and rejoice in. I feel too often that we (and I am referring to myself as well here) take all we have been blessed with for granted; that or we merely assume we have a right to these things. God through the gift of His Son, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit, has richly blessed us beyond all measure and way more than we deserve, can ask, or think.
Most of the time, it's so easy to just see what we are lacking in our lives, to find something to complain about. We end up missing the treasures the joys that are right there in front of us. The "little things in life that make me happy," as I like to call it - haha! So through this conversation last night, I have thus been inspired to write down a list of "some of my favorite things." ("Sound of Music," in case you missed the reference) Sorry, I can't help but think in terms of songs or movie lines. Yes, I'm a dork - but the most awesome kind of one - haha!
I also want to write down a short list down of some of my life resolutions. Life is too short to not have a rough draft of future goals - which are always flexible to change depending on where the Lord takes me. Like my dad says, "It's better to have a goal than no goal at all." It will be good to finally have them down in writing. I also hope in doing this that each of you will not only get a laugh out of some of what I'm sure you'll see as ridiculous, but that you all will be encouraged.
A few of my favorite things:
- having the Holy Spirit reveal a verse, I've read dozens of time, in a new light so that I can peel back those layers to understand it in a deeper way
- driving my black Audi A4 '07 across the open highway and me just singing my heart out or getting lost in the lyrics.
- chocolate milk with animal crackers
- fresh, hot, giant, soft, chocolate chip cookies
- someone unexpectedly saying what I feel is the sweetest thing ever in the way of encouragement
- red roses or just flowers - add such color to life!
- laughing until I cry
- hugs
- finding joy in the details and adding flourishes to every area of my life
- a new pair of sharp, classy heels
- dresses or any excuse to dress up
- when my mom puts together an outfit for me and sends it to me and I actually love it
- sipping a glass of wine with my girls, watching a movie and using it as an excuse to have a good cry
- GLEE or Twilight
- conversations that you don't want to come to an end
- loving on, listening, and crying with people - doing little things to cheer them up and spiritually uplift them
- writing with flair and color (as in my blogs)
- quoting movie lines back and forth with friends and family
- knowing I'm loved and treasured by God, friends and family
- praying for my future husband
- having a random adventure and trying new things/places
- curling up on the cool leather of the recliner with a book or to blog, and letting it soothingly cup my body
Okay, so that's just the short list (had to edit a lot out - of course).
A few of my more interesting life resolutions:
- get really good at one form of dancing - either swing, salsa, or the two-step
- travel all of Europe and beyond it
- memorize several chapters out of the Bible besides the ones I already know
- do martial arts or kickboxing
- be able to be effective at shooting a gun
- learn to sail a boat
- drive an Audi V10 R8 at least once
......to name a few - things will always be added......

Well then, this was different. I bid you all a goodnight and a great day!!!!!!

Peace out,

Rachel Duke

1 comment: